September 30, 2009

"Baby" Milestones

I wanted to record a few "baby" milestones - appropriately called that because they are milestones of what our baby is doing right now, but also because they probably seem rather small. But I am sure I am going to wish I had written this stuff down then the next child comes along!

I welcome feedback from any moms who have advice on better ways to handle these situations - I am fumbling along and praying that God protects our little one from my mistakes!

Week 3
So much more alert, following us with his eyes, turning when he hears our voice nearby
He forgot how to use a nuk. Suddenly the nuk seemed very yucky and he freaked out when it was offered, or spit it out, or couldn't figure out how to latch on. Thankfully, though, he is still doing a great job nursing! (Hope he doesn't forget that some day!)
The amazing swaddle was once a life-saver. Now he seems really angry when he is swaddled, so we have been leaving it off from time to time. He does amazingly well!

Week 4
Aunt Jenny showed me that some of his crying was due to Mommy not burping him well enough. So sad! She showed me a few techniques, and generally just encouraged me to stay at it until he burped, particularly if he looks uncomfortable or started to cry after a feeding.
Some signs of gastro distress - kicking his legs, pulling them up tightly to his belly. Not sure how to help the little guy; Mommy has removed milk from her diet just in case that is causing aggrevation (a true demonstration of love, since Mommy has an ice cream habit that is really hard to kick!)

Week 5
New trick - Blake likes to stay awake from 7am (first feeding) until about 2pm, skipping TWO naps! Ugh! What is going on? He seems generally happy and alert/content for the first two, and then often melts down by the time he actually falls asleep. Baby Wise is not so easy to apply here. I tried playing with him less, in case he is "over-stimulated" after the early feeding, but that doesn't seem to help; he is just wide awake once I change him! I am grateful that he understands the difference between day and night and these "awake" times are not during the night. The last couple of days I have been doing whatever it takes to get him to fall asleep for the first nap (which makes it easier to put him down for the following 2 naps). Yesterday I let him fall asleep in the swing, and today he is in the bouncy chair. We'll teach him how to put himself to sleep later...

Also, the little boy is congested! So he is sleeping at night in the bouncy chair (swaddled) so that he is reclined and can drain better. Today I broke open the humidifier, and sometime today or tonight I might try the suction bulb. Ick! Poor little guy. I wouldn't want anyone poking around in my nose, so I expect he isn't going to like it much.