Sorry for the silenc recently - Mike and I are "sharing" a computer, and since his computer time pays the bills, and my computer time just checks email and updates the blog, our computer time split hasn't been exactly 50/50.
First, I will say that Blake has shown almost zero reflux symptoms over the past 2 weeks. We decided to keep the appt with the specialist anyway.
Diagnosis from the Specialist:
He wasn't even convinced that Blake has reflux. I attribute that more to our poor description of the symptoms over these past 4 months than to the fact that he really doesn't have reflux. He gave us some suggestions on other over the counter meds we can give Blake if he has trouble again. We have another appt scheduled in 4 weeks, so if Blake regresses at least we have access to a specialist.
Diagnosis from Mom:
I'm pretty convinced Blake is allergic to dairy in my milk, and that has been the source of his trouble. Over New Years it appeared that he is also sensitive to shellfish. So I will keep dairy (and shellfish) out of my diet for while longer. The specialist said they don't typically do allergy testing on one so young, so the only way to "test" is to do as I am doing and eliminate foods and see if it helps. I really (really) wish had take dairy out of my diet sooner. My 2 week attempts to do so just weren't long enough.
Of course, his trouble may have nothing to do with dairy. For now I don't have the nerve to try to re-introduce it because, well, I don't want the boy to hurt. The doctor suggested it might just be collic, or he might just be growing out of the reflux. True. Blake is spitting up more the last couple days which makes me especially cautious.
I appreciate continued prayers! Is there anyone out there whose baby had to make the transition from sleeping in the car seat to crib? How did you do it, and when?
2 comments:
Try putting a pillow in the crib for him to lay on, it will provide the incline he needs. Or there are crib wedge things -- i think by a brand names secure sleeper-- you can find them at great beginnings I think! Try swaddling him loosely too, because he was real snug in the car seat and the crib would feel big to him at first. There is a swaddling blanket- also at Great beginnings- called the Ultimate Receiving Blanket.. it is huge and you could easily swaddle him in it.
Hey, Thompson fam. Just rediscovered your blog through Annie's! I'm subscribing...
I think I recall that Debbie Partlow's little guy, James, used to sleep in his car seat. Debbie might be one to query about the transition.
Post a Comment