I have a new "Favorite Thing" in the baby equipment category! It is a "coaster/glider" by First Years. When Blake kicks the panel at the bottom it plays a little tune, and the seat portion slides up runners so that he is actually propeling himself up. We have a little kicker, and Blake caught on to the trick very quickly. It is so much fun to watch him kick kick kick and to hear the little tune play as he does. He is still pretty small for it, so he can just barely reach the panel at the end to kick it, and he can't make the glider work that much. But he loves having something to kick against, and he definitely understands that he is making the music play.
Oh, my happy, giggly baby! I love you so much!!
Now for a "sleep/eat" update... (and why we need to help Monkey grow!)
Recently (the past 3 weeks or so) Blake has been waking every 2-3 hours at night, and mommy has become VERY tired. This is a change, because a month and a half ago he was sleeping 4-6 hrs at a time at night. I finally called the doctor because, selfishly, I really didn't know how I could survive on that little sleep much longer. Perhaps he was teething, or perhaps he had just learned some very bad sleep habits that mommy is perpetuating by feeding him every time he cries at night. But Blake seemed hungry, and Mike was never able to calm him down without me feeding him. The doctor encouraged me to keep feeding him and to bring Blake in for a check-up as soon as possible (after the major snow storm cleared out).
Recently (the past 3 weeks or so) Blake has been waking every 2-3 hours at night, and mommy has become VERY tired. This is a change, because a month and a half ago he was sleeping 4-6 hrs at a time at night. I finally called the doctor because, selfishly, I really didn't know how I could survive on that little sleep much longer. Perhaps he was teething, or perhaps he had just learned some very bad sleep habits that mommy is perpetuating by feeding him every time he cries at night. But Blake seemed hungry, and Mike was never able to calm him down without me feeding him. The doctor encouraged me to keep feeding him and to bring Blake in for a check-up as soon as possible (after the major snow storm cleared out).
Today Blake had that doctor's appointment, and it turns out that Blake has fallen off the charts in terms of his weight. That means that Blake is not gaining weight as he should, and not only is he not gaining weight at the appropriate pace, he is now in the negative numbers for his weight percentile. So, after ruling out a few other factors, the doctor said that he thinks Blake has been waking so often because he is simply hungry. Oh, so sad, my hungry monkey! I feel so responsible, like I am not able to provide the nourishment my baby needs. I am SO glad I didn't try any of the "let him cry" methods I had read about or some had suggested based on the assumption that the wakings were just due to bad sleep habits... I would have felt terrible if I had starved him out any more than I already am!
So now my goal is to get him as much food as I can. The doctor recommended that feed him solids twice a day instead of just once a day (now adding in fruits in addition to veggies), continue to feed him when he wakes up at night, AND that I supplement with formula after each feeding. The very unfortunate thing is that Blake will not take formula. He won't take it from a bottle and he won't take it from a syringe, and we've tried multiple types of formula. He also won't take expressed "mommy milk" from anything but mommy, so I don't know how to give him anything "supplemental." Both Mike and I have tried giving him the bottle and syringe (mommy milk and formula) and he takes it from neither of us. So I am really at a loss. Perhaps if he were hungry enough he would take it, but I can't bring myself to withhold food from a baby who is already underweight just to get him "hungry enough." The next step is to try offering him the bottle when I'm not even in the house - perhaps that will help. But in the past he has refused bottles from sitters, so I am not very hopeful this will work (and again, I ultimate want to make sure he gets the food he needs).
Fenugreek worked well to increase my milk supply, but seemed to upset the baby's tummy (he screamed at night when I was taking it, and stopped when I stopped), so I don't think it is a viable option to take that again, but my supply stills seems a little better than it was before I took it. Otherwise, I think I just must make skim milk! I don't know how to make my milk more caloric - I realize thay my own diet has become very lean (lacking fatty foods) because I can't eat dairy (e.g. no chocolate, no pastries, no butter, no cookies, no ice cream, no cheese, etc.). But I don't even know if that has any impact on the caloric value of my milk.
On the bright side, today I gave Blake pears for the first time, both because the boy seemed to be very constipated from the green beans I had been giving him, but also because the doctor encouraged me to move on to fruits to get more in him. And, no surprise, Blake LOVED the pears! So much better than those icky veggies that always make him cringe the first bite or two!
Blake will have his 6 month check-up in a few weeks and I am praying that somehow we are able to help him gain some weight before then.
6 comments:
Have you thought about seeing a lactation consultant? I had a consult before Devin was born and it was so helpful. They may have some good suggestions of what to eat to help increase your milk supply or thicken it. I have been staying away from a lot of dairy, too, but have been getting my fats from organic olive oil, nuts, palm oil, cod liver oil and sesame oil. I make a smoothie every morning for our breakfast and add an EFA oil to that. I know a good fat intake is important for the milk supply. Hope that helps.
PS - Love the new toy...we are looking to get something like that for Devin
oh I am so glad you did not let him cry too! Poor little guy:( Hope he can get a full tummy soon. Have you thought about trying different types of bottles/nipples?
Love that toy, wish I knew about that when M was little, she was a BIG kicker :) Hang in there with the feeding, I know a few people that had babies who were really slow to gain who I'm sure could give you some helpful info, I also have a name of a great lactation consultant, who helped SOOOO much. Email me if your interested :) Praying for you!
As you know, I'm no expert on ANYTHING, but I do know (as you may as well) that avocados are a great source of healthy fats. I loaned my baby food book out, so I can't say off hand what age you can start babies on them, but they were my first food for Matthew (at 6 mos.), and he did well with them after the first few bites.
your a great mommy sarah, I know its been challenging to figure out how to feed him and care for his weight issue/reflux?/dairy etc...you are a trooper!!! blake is a blessed boy. keep us posted. praying for you.
Post a Comment