February 2, 2010

Ode to Blake's New Loves (and a Nursing Update)

Oh, my bird, how I love you! I grab you.

And my tag toy, how I love to suck you! I suck until you are all squishy and wet.
Hungry caterpillar, I love your big fat tail.
And glow sea-horse, I suck your cute button nose, I kiss your glowing belly.
My love groweth for thee all! Come, let me chomp you, my teething companions!

Some updates on nursing...Thanks, everyone, for your feedback!
Here is what I tried, and what helped:
Drinking more water - Sounds basic and obvious, but I wasn't drinking as much as I needed. I think this really helped (and I felt better). A friend reminded me that I needed to drink at least as much as I was putting out, and I am trying to drink at least a glass of water each time I nurse.
Eating more - I think drinking more had a more substantial impact, but since I often "forgot" to eat, I knew I needed to be more intentional about getting food throughout the day instead of waiting until baby was asleep to fill up.
Alternating sides multiple times in a feeding - I went back and forth so that he was eating from each side" at least twice. I found this to be very helpful, and much easier than pumping after I fed him.
Not feeding him 3 times in 3.5 hrs - Previously I was feeding him at 3pm or 3:30pm, 5pm, and 6:30pm and my body wasn't ready for that 6:30pm feeding. We have decided to put Blake to sleep earlier (5:30-6pm), so now I hold off and essentially skip one feeding. So he gets a full mama when he eats before bed, PLUS he isn't fussy for an hour before we put him to bed.
Fenugreek - When the above still didn't seem to get my milk supply to what Blake seemed to be wanting, I finally decided to try the herbal solution of fenugreek. I took this for 2 days (2 pills, 3x a day, and I was smelling like maple syrup like I heard I would) and noticed a substantial increase in my milk supply, so much that Blake would sputter and cough when my let-down occurred (which he never did before; before I could never even tell when I let down). I actually think I produced TOO MUCH milk and it aggrevated his reflux (I forget that smaller meals are better for his reflux). I stopped taking the Fenugreek right away, but I still think my supply is higher than it was, and I am able to pump more to re-stock my freezer supply.

What didn't help as much:
A beer a day - I didn't notice a difference with this.
Pumping after a feeding - This was discouraging because I didn't get anything when I pumped (and I at least wanted to get some milk for the effort!), and it never seemed convenient to do so. I much prefer alternating sides with the baby (and I think he preferred it, too).
Thanks, again, everyone, for your help with this!

4 comments:

Seth and Janet said...

Thats great Sarah! So glad all those things worked. With a hungry little eater it all makes sense.

Your little guy is absolutely adorable!

Jessica said...

It was helpful for me to see what is working for you. I often forget to eat and drink, too. I'm trying to come up with nutritious quick snacks I can just grab. So far trail mix has been great! The other thing I do is drink a cup of mother's milk tea in the morning and evening. I found it much cheaper on Amazon than at the grocery store.
The other thing I heard that helps is rest...hahaha! Not getting much of that these days! =)

eva said...

great news Sarah! So glad he is eating a little better:)

sohee said...

Great news about increased milk supply! Seems like you are doing the best thing... snacking and eating well, resting well (napping helps!) and drinking lots and lots of water.