January 19, 2011

"Crying it Out" - Mommy and Blake

Here is a chronology of the "cry it out" attempts so far:

Night 1:
Blake slept through the night, and we didn't need to let him cry at all. He woke up slightly earlier than normal (6:15am as opposed to 7am) but I decided to get up with him at 6:40am becaue he wasn't likely to go back to sleep at that point.

Night 2:
Wake-up #1, 10:30pm - we let him cry. Unfortunately, however, we were having some electrical problems and had to mess with the fuse box which caused all the electrical equipment in Blake's room to go on and off (night light, space heater, noise machine, and humidifier) multiple times, which freaked the baby out probably even more than the fact that mom and dad weren't coming to his rescue. After 30 minutes of crying hard he suddenly stopped, and about 5 minutes later I peeked in on him. He was looking right at the crack in the door and started screaming again. I thought I had harassed the boy enough, so I decided to go in and rock him back to sleep (as the lights/machines continued to flicker on and off).

Wake-up #2, 2:30am - let him cry and he screamed for about 50 minutes before falling asleep. Very painful, but I was suprised and encouraged that he DID fall asleep eventually. I had planned to go to a back room while he was crying so that I could sleep, but I was too tired to get out of bed, and I still feel like I should know what is going on so I stayed within ear-shot of the desperate cries!

Wake-up #3, 5:30am - let him cry again, and he cried on and off for about 30-40 minutes before falling back asleep briefly, only to wake up for the day at 6:45am.

Phew, the kid does it right when he does it, huh?

Night 3:
Slept through the night, and we didn't need to let him cry at all. Woke up at 7:10am for the day.

Now, I am definitely PRAYING that Blake just starts sleeping through the night on his own consistently and we don't really have to let him cry it out. But we are prepared to continue to let him cry at night. At this point I would find it very hard to believe that one night of letting him cry produced the next night of sleeping. I am more inclined to believe it is just God's mercy on a tired, pregnant mom.

1 comment:

amy said...

sarah, it's hard to let your baby cry. it's almost counter-intuitive, but it'll really serve the both of you. praying for grace for you all!