Blake is finally old enough to appreciate Christmas, and it was a real blessing to tell him about the upcoming birth of baby Jesus, drive around to see the lights, to make Christmas cookies, and to build anticipation for the gifts he would open. By the time Christmas was here Blake could recite much of the Christmas story. At one point a little before Christmas whenever I asked Blake "who is coming on Christmas?" he would promptly respond, "Baby Jesus!" (However, as Christmas got close and he learned that Mom Mom was planning to arrive on Christmas day, he changed his answer to "Mom Mom!")
We (Mom and Dad) only gave Blake one gift, and Baby Carter gave Blake another, so there wasn't a huge pile of gifts to open at home. But don't worry - grandparents and other family members quickly added to the stockpile. And I am finally starting to understand that it really is better to give than to receive - Mike and I couldn't wait to see Blake's face as he opened his "big" gift from us.
We (Mom and Dad) only gave Blake one gift, and Baby Carter gave Blake another, so there wasn't a huge pile of gifts to open at home. But don't worry - grandparents and other family members quickly added to the stockpile. And I am finally starting to understand that it really is better to give than to receive - Mike and I couldn't wait to see Blake's face as he opened his "big" gift from us.
First, however, he opened a gift from Baby Carter. It truly was a hit! A set of small yellow diggers. Blake loves the dearly.
Next, Blake gave his gift to Baby Carter. When you asked Blake what he wanted to get anyone for Christmas his consistent response was "John Deere tractor." It isn't a John Deere, but Blake got Carter this cute "Little People" tractor that makes animal noises. Carter will appreciate it some day.
And what, do you guess, Blake got Daddy?
Yup, a John Deere tractor! (And some Junior Mints.) I am sure Daddy loves his new tractor, and Blake had NO selfish motives. For some reason Daddy's gift has found its way to our playroom...
At long last Blake opened the big box that had been sitting in the dining room for almost three weeks. I think he was excited.
What was it? A JOHN DEERE TRACTOR! A "big one" that Blake could ride!
Blake helped us put it together (maybe next year we'll do this in advance, but Blake really enjoys the assembly process and is a big help). Now Blake just needs to learn how to peddle his tractor!
I think it is safe to say that this was The Year Of The Tractor at the Thompson house. Blake got one more John Deere tractor with a wagon from Mom Mom to complete his collection, as well as a John Deere hat. It is God's sense of humor that Blake loves tractors so much and Mike would much rather never see or need a tractor in his life.
We spent Christmas Eve at Mike's parents house and I never seem to manage to take good pictures there - the house is full of excited kids, and I am busy keeping track of my own kiddos, but here are a few shots of the chaos...er...excitement...
Carter came home with some great gifts, too, but he didn't notice - he much prefers hugs and giggles!
To be sure, our family was VERY generous to us an the kids and we came home with a playroom full of new toys.
No comments:
Post a Comment