So a few weeks ago I cut off some "sprouts" Blake had growing out of the side of his head. They were funny little patches of hair that were much longer than the neighbors. I tied the hair up with some string before I snipped (saved for who knows what purpose), and that was his official first haircut. But recently I made some more obvious beauty adjustments to our little boy.
Blake was born with a head of black hair, but that hair has been falling out mostly, leaving only the hair on the top of his head. This hair is still growing in blond, but the tips of this top area are still black (and roots are much lighter). This had become a rather strange-looking reverse comb-over. See below:
And so, like a good mommy, I cut off the black to make him look a little less like a balding middle-aged man and more like a cute blond baby.
The hair is saved in a zip lock back for who-knows-what purpose. But the grandmothers' insisted that it is very necessary to save the hair! I tried to explain to them that our blog is our baby book, and there isn't a nice place to paste the hair in cyber world, but, fear not, the hair is saved. (By the way, don't you love those cheeks?!)
Now, Daddy wants to attack the back of Blake's head with his buzzer/razor. Here is his crib bald spot (super soft, I must add). The black hair on the bottom is what it looked like when he was first born. I admit, it looks a little funny to have that dark ring of hair, but I can't bear to have that buzzer near my baby. I think he would freak out. So this is both the "before" and "after" shot of the back of Blake's head (one in the same).
Also, by way of an update, I will say that my previous post titled "No Going Back" proved to be a bit of an overstatement. As soon as I consumed dairy and thus contaminated my milk, I regretted it. Over the next few days I reverted to my dairy/soy-free diet so that I could nurse again. 4 days later (no real science to that number) I nursed again and since I have been nursing Blake once a day, usually first thing in the morning. My milk supply is slowly diminishing, but I'd rather "go out nursing" I think.
As for swaddling, breaking the swaddle habit has been much easier than I ever could have hoped. After only a day or two Blake is now happily unswaddled. We still put the swaddle on, just around his torso and legs, but it is mostly just for routine's sake and to keep him warm. He is now sleeping on his side or even sometimes on his stomach. When I first saw him asleep on his stomach in the middle of the night I was definitely fearful, since all the books say this is a suffocation risk (although I know many friends who let their babies sleep on their backs). I woke up Mike, we prayed that God would keep the baby safe, but then I still went in to put him on his back. But Blake promptly turned onto his stomach. And he was practically sleeping on his face. But later that night when he wouldn't sleep I actually PUT him on his belly, and went to sleep quickly. Now he typically rolls to his side or his belly. And I can trust God for what I can't control!
As for swaddling, breaking the swaddle habit has been much easier than I ever could have hoped. After only a day or two Blake is now happily unswaddled. We still put the swaddle on, just around his torso and legs, but it is mostly just for routine's sake and to keep him warm. He is now sleeping on his side or even sometimes on his stomach. When I first saw him asleep on his stomach in the middle of the night I was definitely fearful, since all the books say this is a suffocation risk (although I know many friends who let their babies sleep on their backs). I woke up Mike, we prayed that God would keep the baby safe, but then I still went in to put him on his back. But Blake promptly turned onto his stomach. And he was practically sleeping on his face. But later that night when he wouldn't sleep I actually PUT him on his belly, and went to sleep quickly. Now he typically rolls to his side or his belly. And I can trust God for what I can't control!
3 comments:
"I tried to explain to them that our baby book is our blog, and there isn't a nice place to paste the hair in cyber world, but fear not, the hair is saved."
Ha! I couldn't part with the baby hair either... it's stowed on a bookshelf for now. :)
yes, can't get enough of those cheeks! he is so adorable!
alas, i forgot to keep some of william's baby hair, so we didn't do that with josiah either. =(
oh, and yay for getting out of the swaddle! he's practically a little boy! ;)
Post a Comment