Here are the results from Blake's 4-Month Dr's appointment. In short, our boy remains on the tiny side, except for his head which seems to be growing at an increased pace. (It probably doesn't help that I keep calling him "beautiful" and "my little prince"!) I was a little concerned at the low percentiles, but the doctor says Blake is right on track given his size/weight at birth and he isn't concerned by the low percentiles.
Poor little boy cried pretty much from the time I took him out of his infant carrier until we left the office, with a brief break as I nursed him, and a more intense, piercing, red-faced wail when he got his 3 shots. (Those needles are LONG! They look like they could go clear through to the other side of his little legs.) The appointment was at 10am, so we had to leave the house by 9:30am, and we didn't get out of there until about 11:30am, which meant the appointment was right over top of his 9:30-11am nap, and this is what I attribute the fussiness to. In response to all his tears the Dr even asked if he was a generally happy baby! (And Blake definitely is!) Oh, so sad that he didn't get to see Blake's happy faces and giggles!
The doctor was pleased at all the motor skill and social milestones Blake has achieved. However, Blake is not very interested in putting weight on his legs yet, and although he rolled over a number of times back around Thanksgiving he hasn't done it again since then. But neither of these were a concern to the doctor.
Our doctor also said to leave him in the infant carrier to sleep as long as we wanted (no rush to get him to the crib) and he says that by 6 months Blake would probably not need the swaddle any longer (that is when the startle reflex subsides), but it is fine to leave him swaddled until then. My only concern is I don't want to get to a point where both transitions (to crib and out of swaddle) are happening at the same time, so I might try moving him to the crib sooner than later if his reflux stays improved. But as it is, it is nice to not have to take a pack-n-play with us for him to sleep in! So what is my rush, really? I don't even know...
Per the doctor's advice we will be starting rice cereal now. If Blake weren't so little, or if I had more confidence in my milk supply, I think I would prefer to hold off until 6 months to start solids, but as it is I think it is wise to follow the doctor's advice and start him on rice cereal.

No comments:
Post a Comment