I just wanted to share a little story that I repeat often but I realize I never put on the blog. One day my little baby was crying in my arms, looking much like this picture below, with his tongue thrown way back and vibrating with every wail. Suddenly, for some mysterious reason, he stopped mid-cry and fell asleep. His mouth was still open and the little tongue was still back in the "scream" position, and in the next 30 seconds or so, as he slept in my arms, the tongue slowly returned to the "down" (normal) position and his mouth closed. It was like slow-motion rewind!
Oh, my baby, I'm so sorry you had to scream like this so often as your reflux or tummy or something was obviously hurting you very badly.
The answered prayer is that I think we have a new baby! (No, I'm not pregnant.) Suddenly, starting the day after Christmas, Blake has been virtually pain-free! He goes to sleep happily, or fusses and cries the normal way, not the escalating, urgent, raspy way that came with his reflux. And he calms down for us in our arms, instead of crying endlessly for reasons we can't really see or understand.
We can finally REALLY begin sleep-training (letting him cry, putting him down awake, establishing routines and a schedule, etc), and he is responding to our training so well, I can hardly believe it. AND he is sleeping much better at night, typically just getting up once around 4am (going to sleep around 7:30pm and I have to wake him at 8am). It is such a blessing. I admit (am I crazy?) I actually miss the time we spent caring for our little one - God's word is true that "where your treasure is, there your heart will be" and as we served him so many hours for the past 4 months it just deepened my love for the little boy. But now I am so happy for him that he is feeling better. It is such a blessing to have a happy, giggly, well-rested, predictable baby. And these changes coincided almost exactly with his 4-month birthday. Praise the Lord. Thank you to everyone who has been praying!


2 comments:
Praise God. What a wonderful blessing. Isn't it funny that 4 month mark- that's when we noticed a big difference in Matthan too. SO glad the sleep training is going well too. I know it sounds crazy but eventually he wont wake for that 4am feeding- and yet you'll want to wake him to snuggle! We still feel that way sometimes! Sweet baby boys! Happy sleeping for all of you!!!
wow, sarah! that's such wonderful news! so glad blake is feeling better and over that hump. may the Lord continue to keep him healthy! praise God!
Post a Comment